Since meeting the chickens and the fox in the first title of the popular series, Chickens and the Fox, young readers have seen the sly fox try repeatedly to outwit the clever chickens. The fox tries to outsmart the chickens once again. But, this time the chickens get help from a friend when the fox digs a tunnel under their fence. Chicken Guard Dog, part of the illustrated Chickens and the Fox set, is a Level G, Upper Emergent Reader.
Chicken Guard Dog can be found in the following Sets and Collections:
- Chickens and the Fox
- Emergent Accelerated Reader®
- Levels F-H MRB Upper Emergent
- MRB Menagerie
- Reading Recovery® Books
- Use these directions to make a Chickens and Fox Animal Cracker Box to store your farm books.
- Make a set of DIY farm animal stick puppets and put on a show about your farm animals.
- Take apart the Chicken School Mixed-Up Sentence and put it back together again.
- Go from a chicken to a fox with our Chicken and Fox Word Ladder.
- Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Try our Chicken or Egg Word Ladder.
- Look in the chickens’ coop and figure out What’s Happening Here?
- Visit a farm, then write an Animal Simile Poem about it. Use Norman’s A Trip to the Zoo poem for inspiration.
- Create your own Comic Speech Bubble about the chickens and the fox.
- Continue the stories with a Three-Panel Story Strip or a Six-Panel Story Strip.
- Learn more about Danny and his friends in the All About MRB Word Search.