Having plenty of engaging books on hand is important for young readers, whether your student is learning at home or in school. Each of the Starting Back Sets includes eight books selected by level, two stamped postcards, two Danny + Bee labels (just waiting to be personalized), a 12 x 9″ reusable dry erase whiteboard with marker and eraser*, and a clear 4 mil Polyethylene, acid-free and archival safe HangUp bag. The handled HangUp bag is waterproof and can be wiped off and reused. The bag measures 12-1/2″ H x 14″ W and is perfect for transporting books to and from the classroom or for efficient, safe hanging storage. The 3-3/4″ gray handles of the bag snap together for security and have molded thumb grips for easy opening.
Titles included in the Starting Back A-D Fiction Set are:
- All About Danny (A)
- Danny’s Bee (the beginning) (A)
- Danny’s Hats (B)
- Little Pig (B)
- Norman’s First Halloween (C)
- Stink Bugs in Danny’s House (C)
- Danny’s Five Senses (D)
- Danny Likes Apples (D)
* Dry erase whiteboard with marker and eraser included in sets only while supply lasts.
Early Emergent Readers
Early Emergent readers benefit from books about familiar topics that use carefully controlled text and repeated vocabulary. Illustrations are important keys to readers at this level, supporting the decoding of new words. Early Emergent readers are still building a vocabulary of high-frequency words. Having a large vocabulary of frequently used words enables reading that is more fluent and sounds like natural speaking language.
Readers at all levels benefit from reading both fiction and nonfiction/informational books. Reading nonfiction helps young students develop background knowledge, which increases their comprehension ability by enabling them to make sense of new ideas. Additionally, informational texts have the potential to motivate students to read more by tapping into their personal interests. MaryRuth Books offers many fiction and nonfiction/informational leveled readers, suggested and used by Reading Recovery® and Guided Reading educators, when teaching Early Emergent readers.
- Print a Story Strip version of All About Danny, complete with mini lesson plan.
- Make action words that mean the action is happening now by adding the –ing ending to action words students find in Little Pig.
- Practice reading, writing, and gross motor skills with the Little Pig action words worksheet.
- In Danny’s Five Senses, Danny uses his five senses to experience Dad’s birthday cake. Download and complete the worksheet, Introduction to Understanding the Five Senses.
- The tongue is used for talking and tasting. Download a hands-on activity for the reading classroom to explore the sense of taste.