For a limited time only, get FREE SHIPPING on Summer Fun Reading – Early Emergent. The specially priced set consists of six fiction titles and four nonfiction titles, plus a reading chart with a sheet of colorful stickers to keep track of summer reading progress. Add your name and color the chart to make it your own. The set also includes a 4″ plush, My Very Own Puppy Norman. He’s a perfectly-sized, portable reading buddy.
Titles included in Summer Fun Reading – Early Emergent are:
- two 8.5 x 8.5″ lap-size fiction titles: Lunch for Baby Elephant (A) and Danny Likes Red (B)
- one 5.75 x 5.75″ nonfiction title: Horse Colors (B)
- three 7.25 x 6.25″ nonfiction titles: Counting Frogs Around the Pond (A), Loud and Quiet at the Zoo (B), and The Robins in My Yard (B)
- two 5.5 x 5.5″ fiction titles: Danny and Norman at the Car Show (B) and The Swim Lesson (C)
- one 5.75 x 5.75″ fiction title: Ornithologist Danny (C)
- one 5.5 x 8″ fiction title: A Fish Story (C)
Titles listed above are based on current inventory. If a specific title becomes unavailable, a similar title of the same level will be substituted.
Early Emergent Readers
Early Emergent readers benefit from books about familiar topics that use carefully controlled text and repeated vocabulary. Illustrations are important keys to readers at this level, supporting the decoding of new words. Early Emergent readers are still building a vocabulary of high-frequency words. Having a large vocabulary of frequently used words enables reading that is more fluent and sounds like natural speaking language.
- After reading The Robins in My Yard, give students a place to record what they learn about birds. Download instructions on making a Pink Flamingo Bird Book.
- Print a graphic novel version of Ornithologist Danny.
- Complete a Dot-To-Dot exercise to see what Ornithologist Danny sees in his backyard during the spring and summer.
- Download the bird-themed high-frequency words coloring exercise.