Create a “language environment” in the classroom with this durable set of 16 – 8″ x 8″ two-sided laminated cards, featuring photos from favorite MaryRuth Books titles. The reverse side of each card presents a series of open-ended questions about the image to prompt student observations, predictions, and inferences.
The Conversation Cards are ideal for sparking discussions and providing opportunities for students to practice listening and storytelling skills. Educators may also use the cards to assess a student’s background knowledge, a.k.a. Roaming Around the Known. Background knowledge is the foundation for additional learning and is essential for reading comprehension. The more a student already knows about a topic, the easier it will be for that student to understand and remember what they read about it.
- Get the conversation started with Danny’s Mealtime Conversation-Starter Questions.
- Help emergent readers use their critical thinking and storytelling skills.
- Write a Limerick Poem about what is happening on one of the cards. Use Danny’s The Big Race poem for inspiration.
- Create your own Comic Speech Bubble about a scene on one of the conversation cards.
- Continue the story with a Three-Panel Story Strip or a Six-Panel Story Strip.
- Color and send your own Custom Danny Card.
- Print and fold a Danny Fortune Teller about Danny and his friends.