In Tortoises at the Zoo, learn about one of the longest-living land animals. A tortoise is a turtle, but not all turtles are tortoises. When you get a group of tortoises together, it’s called a creep. Maybe that’s because tortoises are thought to be slow moving? Tortoises at the Zoo, part of At the Zoo Set 3, is a nonfiction/informational, Level H, Upper Emergent Reader.
The 16 book Zoo Collection includes a copy of each title in the four At the Zoo sets. Each title features original photography and includes a glossary of subject-specific words.
- At the Zoo Set 1: Giraffes at the Zoo, Tigers at the Zoo, Brown Bears at the Zoo, Elephants at the Zoo
- At the Zoo Set 2: Penguins at the Zoo, Flamingos at the Zoo, Rhinoceroses at the Zoo, Polar Bears at the Zoo
- At the Zoo Set 3: Red Pandas at the Zoo, Tortoises at the Zoo, Lions at the Zoo, Cheetahs at the Zoo
- At the Zoo Set 4: Calves at the Zoo, Cubs at the Zoo, Loud and Quiet at the Zoo, Stripes at the Zoo
Tortoises at the Zoo can be found in the following Sets and Collections:
- Accelerated Reader® Transitional Reader Set
- At the Zoo Set 3
- Levels F-H MRB Upper Emergent Reading Set
- MRB Menagerie
- Nonfiction/Informational 50 Title Collection
- Reading Recovery® Books Set
- Zoo Collection
- Use these directions to make our Zoo Animal Cracker Box to store your books.
- Design a Zoo Sign for a tortoise at the zoo.
- What is the difference between an Herbivore, Carnivore and Omnivore?
- Complete a Turtles and Tortoises Venn Diagram.
- Fill out a KWL Chart comparing what you know and what you’ve learned about tortoises.
- Explore more Classroom Activities about zoo animals.
- Write a Cinquain Poem about a tortoise. Use Danny’s Tadpole Cinquain poem for inspiration.
- Explore around the zoo, then write an Animal Simile Poem about it. Use Norman’s A Trip to the Zoo poem for inspiration.
- Create your own Comic Speech Bubble about a tortoise.
- Continue the zoo story with a Three-Panel Story Strip or a Six-Panel Story Strip.
- Download a complete list of Glossary Words introduced in our nonfiction/informational titles.
- Print Zoo Collection Book Labels for your classroom reading library. Level labels will print on the Avery Easy Peel® 5160 Labels template.