The fox is hungry. The fox likes to eat chickens. In The Chickens and the Fox, find out what happens the first time the hungry fox meets these clever chickens. The Chickens and the Fox, part of the illustrated Down on the Farm and Chickens and the Fox sets, is a D leveled, Emergent reader.
The Chickens and the Fox can be found in the following Sets and Collections:
- The Accelerated Reader® Emergent Reader Set
- Chickens and the Fox Set
- Down on the Farm Set
- The eBook 75 Membership
- The eBook75 Companion Set
- Levels D-E MRB Emergent Reading Set
- The MRB Menagerie
- Paired-Farm Collection
- Reading Recovery® Books Set
- Use these directions to make a Chickens and Fox Animal Cracker Box to store your farm books.
- Make a set of DIY farm animal stick puppets and put on a show about your farm animals.
- Take apart the Chicken School Mixed-Up Sentence and put it back together again.
- Go from a chicken to a fox with our Chicken and Fox Word Ladder.
- Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Figure it out with the Chicken or Egg Word Ladder.
- Look in the chickens’ coop and figure out What’s Happening Here?
- Visit a farm, then write an Animal Simile Poem about it. Use Norman’s A Trip to the Zoo poem for inspiration.
- Create your own Comic Speech Bubble about the chickens and the fox.
- Continue the stories with a Three-Panel Story Strip or a Six-Panel Story Strip.
- Learn more about Danny and his friends in the All About MRB Word Search.
Last year I discovered the Chicken and the Fox series. I will use these much more now. Who’s in the Chicken Coop? was excellent for helping one of my students become more expressive in her reading. It was a turning point for her.
Lisa Kalmanash –
Dear Ms. Coulton,
My Reading Recovery student, Melissa, loved reading the books in The Chickens and the Fox series. After reading them all, while waiting (hopefully) for additional titles, Melissa decided to write her own book featuring these characters. As you can see, she was influenced by your craft and sees herself, not only as a reader, but also an author! Thank you for inspiring many of our young readers and writers. I hope you enjoy The Sneaky Fox.