In Summer in the Woods, Danny and Bee take a walk through the woods during summer. The big green summertime leaves provide cool shade for the birds and insects they see moving busily in and around the woods. Summer in the Woods features original photography and has a glossary of new terms. The inside back cover includes instructions for young naturalists on how to make a paper bag field journal to take with them when they go exploring. Summer in the Woods, part of the In the Woods with Danny and Bee Set, is a nonfiction/informational, Level H, Upper Emergent Reader.
Summer in the Woods is a Danny Science Book and part of the four-title set, In the Woods with Danny and Bee Set. Titles in the Danny Science Book series explain basic ideas about nature and science. Each book gently introduces students to simple informational texts and the scientific concepts used to study the natural world and the relationships between organism and their environments.
Summer in the Woods can be found in the following Sets and Collections:
- Danny Collection
- Danny Leveled Set H
- Early Accelerated Reader®
- In the Woods with Danny and Bee
- Levels F-H MRB Upper Emergent Reading
- MRB Menagerie
- Nonfiction/Informational 50 Title Collection
- Reading Recovery® Books
- Use these directions to make our Menagerie Animal Cracker Box to store your books.
- Read The Woods Story Strip about animals you’d find in the woods.
- Go from sun to set with our Sun Set Word Ladder.
- Learn about Migration.
- Go on one of our Seasonal Scavenger Hunts.
- Search for signs of the season with our Summer Senses Scavenger Hunt.
- Examine Flowers like a scientist.
- Find our handy Bee-Friendly Herb Growing Table and get directions for Growing Herbs For Honeybees.
- A Haiku Poem is a short poem about nature. Write a Haiku using Norman and Bee’s Haiku for inspiration.
- Write an Acrostic Poem about summer. Use Danny’s Autumn Acrostic poem for inspiration.
- Explore the woods in summer, then write an Animal Simile Poem about it. Use Norman’s A Trip to the Zoo poem for inspiration.
- Create your own Comic Speech Bubble about animals you’d find while exploring the woods.
- Print and fold a Danny Fortune Teller about Danny and his friends.
- Download a complete list of Glossary Words introduced in our nonfiction/informational titles.